OUR MINIATURE HEREFORDS
Australian Miniature Herefords used prize winning cattle in both the United States and Canada from which we flushed/drew and imported embryos and semen during 1997.
- A number of these embryos have been sold to selected breeders in Australia and New Zealand and the balance have been used as our foundation stock.
- Calves and embryos and semen are currently available for sale.
- Australian Miniature Herefords source animals are:
POE Brandon The sire to our embryos. Brandon was born on the 21st of March 1994. Brandon measured 92cm (36 inches) at the hip when he was 15 months old. His measurement at the hip is now 107 cm (42 inches). So his frame score is between 00 and 000.
Cows that have produced or are producing embryos are:
POE Miss Holly
POE Miss Iris
POE Miss Jessie
POE Miss Lori
POE Miss Marie
How big are miniature Herefords really?
Most breeders will list either a mature frame score or current height along with an animal’s sale statistics. 114cm (45 inches) tall may not sound like much, but when you add 61 cm (two feet) of width, almost 450 kg (1000 pounds) of beef all wrapped in a hairy hide, they can be larger than you thought.
- Miniature Herefords are roughly half the size of their Modern counterparts, but they are still cattle.
- Miniature Herefords, which are a smaller chunkier version of the larger Hereford, like their larger cousins, have a good temperament, essential for a small block.
- Miniature Herefords forage well and don’t seem to be affected too adversely by hills and the poorer feed that grows on them.